Herbert Marx (1932-2020)
March 20, 2020
It is with great sadness that we have learned of the passing of the Honourable Herbert Marx on March 19, 2020.
Born in Montreal on March 16, 1932, Mr. Marx attended Concordia University and the Université de Montréal, as well as Harvard Law School.
Called to the Québec Bar in 1968, he became professor of constitutional law at the Université de Montréal Faculty of Law from 1969 to 1979.
Elected Member of the National Assembly in 1979 in the riding of D’Arcy-McGee, Mr. Marx was Minister of Justice (1985-88), Minister of Public Security (1988) and Solicitor General (1987-88). We owe him, among others, the creation of the Court of Québec, the crime victims assistance centres (CAVAC) and the committee for the reform of the Civil Code of Québec which led to its adoption in 1991.
In 1989, Herbert Marx was appointed as a justice of the Superior Court of Québec, a position he held until his retirement in 2007.
He is the author of numerous articles and books in the fields of constitutional law, social law and public liberties, including Droit constitutionnel : notes et jurisprudence, with François Chevrette. In 2018, he published his autobiography, My Story.
In the media:
- Jack Jedwab, “Appreciation : Herbert Marx was a great Quebecer and Canadian”, Montreal Gazette (20 March 2020)
- Paul Cherry, “Former justice minister Herbert Marx remembered as a principled man”, Montreal Gazette (20 March 2020)
- Lisa Fitterman, “Deeply principled jurist Herbert Marx was 'the ultimate mensch on the bench'”, The Globe and Mail (6 April 2020)
- Mike Cohen, “Two giants have left us: Herbert Marx and Yoine Golstein,” The Suburban (21 March 2020)
- Mike Cohen, “Herbert Marx and Yoine Goldstein are remembered for their significant contributions,” The Suburban (25 March 2020)
- CJN Staff, “Former Quebec justice minister, Herbert Marx, dies at 88,” Canadian Jewish News (26 March 2020)
- Florence Tison, “Décès d’un ancien ministre de la Justice,” Droit-Inc (24 March 2020)
- La Presse Canadienne, “L'ancien ministre libéral de la Justice du Québec Herbert Marx est décédé jeudi“, L'actualité (20 March 2020)
This content has been updated on August 3rd, 2020 at 15 h 49 min.